Thursday, May 25, 2006

Today's Hike: Cat-hole Peak

For the last couple of years, I've been meaning to hike Cat-hole Peak on the north side of Claremont. I had today off so I figured that this was the day to do it. I decided to go up the more heavily wooded part of the mountain and was off-trail for a large portion of the hike. I believe I covered about 12-15 miles and I got some great photos in the process. This is probably my most strenuous hike yet this season, I hiked all the way from my house up to the top and back; a lot of very steep inclines and rocks. But it was so completely worth it, even just for the view.


A rather stately-looking Jack In The Pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum.

One lifts up the hood to look inside the flower and... OH MY, HOW RUDE!!!


Gaywing, aka Fringed Polygala, Polygala Paucifolia

American Toad, Bufo Americanus.

Wild columbines, Aquilegia canadensis. Seeing these in their natural element was a rare treat for me. They are extremely hard to find in the wild around my area. The last time I've seen them growing wild was perhaps around the age of four or five (over 20 years ago). In a few weeks I intend to hike back to the secluded area where I found these specimens so that I can collect seeds from them, sprout some plants next year, and distribute them to other areas of the woods, while keeping a few for my own garden.

Close-up of the Wild Columbine's flower.

The grassy, hillside region where I found the wild columbines. Notice the stunted tree growth due to the elevation.

Panoramic view of the area surrounding Claremont. Click on the picture to see it full-size. You can see the actual town of Claremont in miniature just to the right of the middle of the picture.


White Wake Robin, Trillium Grandiflorum. This variety has no scent, as opposed to the red/purple variety's characteristic stench.

1 comment:

McPolack said...

You really capture what is great about NH. Great pics espc. the naughty one.