Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Growing and learning...

At this time of year last year, I was in very bad shape, in many ways. I was overweight, frustrated, self-hating, and living in a stagnant, self-destructive relationship with a guy who (I would later find out) had been cheating on me for a long time. To make a long story short, we parted company and I have been slowly clawing my way out of this chronic depression. I am opposed to the pharmaceutical companies' game of taking a pill for everything, so I decided to fight the depression on my own with no medication. This has required that I take better care of myself, force myself to be less tolerant of destructive outside influences, be more mindful of bad emotional patterns, exercise more, and eat a healthier diet.

Life has come a long way since this time last year. My mind is expanding again, I've lost weight, my mental focus has returned, and I am learning to open up and be human again. I see all sorts of people around me who have been trapped in the same problems that I've been in; some are winning the game, some are losing. I try to help them where I can, but life has also taught me when to walk away from a problem that I can't fix. I am starting to regain the consciousness that I had 4 years ago, before the bad relationship. This is a good thing. May it continue to be.

No comments: